Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Updates and thoughts

Michael is in the middle of his 15th chemo treatment.  I cannot believe all we have put his body through as we fight this disease.  It's amazing to me that he has kept going.  I will never complain about being exhausted again!  We are starting to see what could be our first bit of positive results from all of this.  His CEA numbers are finally going down.  They spiked up to 8.5 a few weeks ago and now they are down to 3.7!!!  We leave on July 5th for our next trip to MD Anderson in Houston to take a look at what is going on in his liver.  With the CEA numbers going in the right direction, we are cautiously optimistic.  My hope is that we will see a dramatic reduction in tumor size that will allow for a surgery soon to get them all the way out.  We will know Friday if we are there yet.

The kids seem to be used to our "new normal" of life with cancer.  They could not have done this without the help of friends, family, church, and Wonders and Worries.  We are hoping that after this is behind us (will it ever really be?) they feel like there is nothing in life that they can't handle.  Their childhood is certainly different than our plan for them.  It's a reminder that you don't have as much control over life as you think.  You can only really control your reaction to the cards you are dealt.  What a lesson.

I have a true sense of inner peace about it all right now.  I feel that it will all turn out okay.  This doesn't mean I am immune to bouts of crying or hand wringing anxiety, but I am overall at peace.  I feel stronger than ever when I lean on my faith and I'm reminded of His gifts when I feel the love gathered around me during this time.

Overall life is really so good.

1 comment:

  1. I can't imagine what you are going through! Only the best for you and your family and I can't wait to hear the positive results Friday! Be safe and take care Felicia!

    ReplyDelete